A Music Experiment--Take a Music-pause

In Pink by Patricia Herlevi
I have been thinking a lot about women suffering from emotional and mental symptoms connected to hormonal imbalance--with a focus on peri-menopausal and menopausal women.  Some of the symptoms I have experienced myself include irritability, heart palpitations with anxiety in the middle of the night, and an emotional rollercoaster ride, including bursts of anger in connection with standing up for myself.

So if any women reading this blog have experienced similar emotions and mental processes, I am including a few CDs here for you to try to alleviate some of the symptoms.  Experiment.

I also started drinking Tulsi (Holy Basil) tea to reduce my stress levels. I feel relaxed.

For insomnia I recommend:

"Relax and De-Stress" by Dr. Andrew Weill and Joshua Leeds, Sounds True
"Through A Dog's Ear" Volume One, Sounds True (Yes, this CD helps humans relax too and if your dog also feels stressed out, then you help the both of you).

These two CDs slow the body's rhythm down gradually until the music reaches 80 beats per minute--a full relaxed state. 

Clearing space after feeling strong emotions:

"In the Key of Earth" and "Vibrational Healing Music" by Marjorie de Muynck, Sounds True

Marjorie combines sound healing tools with musical overtones, natural sounds and jazz instruments tuned to the key of the universal ohm.  This music clears electromagnetic effects from your body and aura.  All the instruments are acoustic-based.

Catharis for anger and hurt (about issues from the past)

"The Phenomenal Ruthie Foster," Blue Corn Music
Or anything by Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone, etc...

Ruthie sings the blues, old folk and gospel.  The themes of her songs reflect on healing past hurts, coming into one's own and other themes menopausal and middle age women experience.  The singing and production on this album lends itself well to getting stuff out of your system.  Dance to the music, clean house to the music or just listen to it through headphones.  I guarantee you'll feel better.

Uplift moods & relax nervous tension (without drowsiness)

"Nha Sentimento" Cesaria Evora, Lusafrica

"Lus" Nancy Vieira, World Village

Both of these CDs are new to my collection.  In fact, I just reviewed both of them in the last two weeks.  And I have been experiencing a lot of stress during this time too so these CDs were pushed to the limit and performed well.

The Cape Verdean sound feels warming, comforting and sedate.  The lyrics might reflect on sadness, but the rhythms, choice of instruments, etc... create a welcoming environment.  It might sound cliche to say that the songs feel like hugs from a friend, but they do.  Plus the two singers possess beautiful and deeply penetrating voices.

And if you need a happy song for dancing yourself into a frenzy

"Make a Better World" off of "Slide to Freedom 2" Doug Cox and Salil Bhatt, Northern Blues

These musicians provide music for my yoga practice.  I love starting out with this happy song and I end up feeling better about myself and my sporadic outbursts of anger. Who doesn't want to make the world a better place? Too bad I feel ticked off a lot.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Peyote Songs & The Native American Church

The Practice--Treasure Hunt from the book Whole Music

Talking about Timbre