The Practice: The Bach Remedy

I woke up this morning, with a storm slamming against the windows.  I decided to stay in bed longer and listen to Bach keyboard works.  I slipped Murray Perahia's Bach Partitas 2, 3 & 4 into my portable CD player and listened to Bach's solo piano via headphones.  The ostinato (bass line played with left hand), and the counterpoint so skillfully played by Perahia calmed my nerves.

My mind was racing at the time with thoughts tripping over each other. So I focused on the music, and listened intently while absorbing every nuance into my cells. About 15 minutes of listening to this recording, plus an eye pillow over my face, gave me the same affect as a half an hour of sitting meditation.

I realize that anyone who has read sound healing and healing music books would have seen Bach's music at the top of a healing music list.  Experts discuss the architecture and the mathematics of Bach's ingenuous compositions, not that I comprehend the intricacies of Bach's music. I recommend Bach's music for anyone who has a wandering mind and problems with concentration.  Listening to the solo instrument compositions leads to an absorbing experience.  But don't just put Bach on in the background and go about your business.  Take a good listen and feel your body absorb the music, pay attention to your heart beat and your body's rhythms as your body entrains to music.

I enjoy January and winter the least of all the seasons.  The dark, and gloomy sky often leads me into a deep funk or depression.  This year, I will make an effort to work with my musical toolkit, including Bach CDs to lift myself out of the darker realms and enjoy life again.  Have you tried the Bach remedy for the winter blahs?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Peyote Songs & The Native American Church

The Practice--Treasure Hunt from the book Whole Music

Talking about Timbre